Wednesday, June 29, 2011

July In Film

I figured I would do my July film preview early because the first films of the month come out on Friday and I am going on vacation (to small number of frequent readers, don't worry, I will still be posting while on vacation). I have to say this the weakest looking July in recent memory for me. The number of films I want to see is extremely limited. Here are my thoughts on the full slate of July films.

Films I want to see
2.Horrible Bosses(7/8)-Horrible Bosses looks like it could very well be the comedy of the summer. The early test screening buzz is excellent and the cast is completely amazing. Comic veterans like Jason Bateman, Jason Sudekis, and Charlie Day thrown in with other great, normally non-comic actors including Kevin Spacey and Colin Farell, How can you go wrong with that? It looks to be pretty amusing and I am quite excited to see how this turns out.

1.Cowboys and Aliens(7/29)-Outside of the god awful title, this movie looks awesome. The idea of a western meets sci-fi thing is a really cool idea (unless it turns out to be a Wild Wild West-esque.disaster.)  Jon Faverau's presence as a director assures this film will be well-made, he has turned into one of the finest action directors around right now. Daniel Craig looks like a complete bad-ass in the lead role and Harrison Ford and Sam Rockwell make the cast very well-rounded. Hopefully this will be one of the better summer films.

Films I am unsure about
Larry Crowne(7/1)-Despite a solid cast, this looks to be an incredibly straightforward and lifeless comedy/drama. I will hold out hope due to how awesome Tom Hanks is, but I am not really liking the odds.

The Zookeper(7/8)-The trailer is far funnier than it should be just like the last Kevin James's family film Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I am assuming similar results for The Zookeeper, an average, harmless kids film with a few laughs, but overall nothing special.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2(7/15)-This is the best looking Harry Potter film in quite some time. But due to my love/hate relationship with these films, I can't get really too excited about this film.

Friends With Benefits(7/22)-Will Gluck's last romantic comedy Easy A was actually very funny. This alone gives Friends With Benefits a shot to be good. I do like Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis, but this could end up a very formulaic rom-com. We will see how it goes.

Crazy,Stupid,Love(7/29)-The trailer looks alright. The cast is solid, but I am afraid this film will have tone issues.

Films that I don't want to see( but will have to anyways due to my goal for 2011 films)
Monte Carlo(7/1)-Selena Gomez in a a rich girl traveling to France, no thanks. I am pretty sure this will be one of the worst films of the year.

Winnie The Pooh(7/15)-I love Winnie The Pooh when I was a kid, but now at 19 I really don't care.

Captain America: The First Avenger(7/22)-This is easily the worst looking superhero film ever. It looks like a complete pile of horse shit.  There is so many signs this movie is going to be awful it's not even funny. First, you got one of the worst directors in Hollywood, Joe Johnston, at the helm. Then, you have the writers of The Chronicles Of Narnia films doing the script. Throw in a cast, that judging by the trailers, seems to be aware how bad the film is. I am a big superhero film fan, but I really do not want to see Captain America at all.

The Smurfs(7/29)-Dear god I can't even believe this is real. The trailers looks like Alvin and The Chipmunks, but with even worse jokes. This looks to be another contender for the worst films of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment