Monday, August 22, 2011

Album Review: Black Tide-Post Mortem

Black Tide kind of disappeared after their debut album Light From Above in 2008. At the time I thought Light From Above was a pretty good record. It definitely showed some promise for Black Tide at their very young age. I figured I would give their new record, Post Mortem, a shot because I liked Light From Above to see if they had progressed any. I immediately regretted that decision.

Post Mortem is a gigantic step down for Black Tide. Gone is the thrash/classic metal sound from Light From Above, It's been replaced with shitty metalcore/hard rock. It honestly sounds like a watered-down Bullet For My Valentine record (Ironically, Matt Tuck makes an appearance on album opener "Ashes".) The whole record sounds as if they just wanted to make money by completely changing their sound. I understand that Gabriel Garcia went through puberty, but that doesn't mean you need to become a fucking emo whinecore band because of it. It's really just an embarrassing record overall. Black Tide just seems to be going through the motions with the formulaic approach on this record. By the time I got to "That Fire", I was 100% sure that this was a shittier version of last year's Fever by Bullet For My Valentine (which is a completely average record). There is some ballads, there is some faster songs, it doesn't really matter because none of the songs work. The only reason this record is not a complete failure is Garcia's guitarwork. There are a few pretty good solos on this record, it's a shame they are on such a bland record.

Post Mortem is the one of the most half-assed records in recent memory. It's a completely tedious listening experience with very few bright spots. It's really a shame they are wasting their potential. They were a respectable young thrash/ traditional heavy metal band, now they are just a Bullet For My Valentine rip-off. Post Mortem has not even an ounce of creativity and is an instantly forgettable record.

1.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment