Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Concert Review: blink-182 (Honda Civic Tour), Mansfield, MA August 9th, 2011

Dear god, I am just warning the readers that is probably going to be my most expletive-ridden review to date. Yesterday was the single most confusing concert experience I have ever had. Let me start off my saying, fuck the crowd. I have never seen a bigger amount of assholes in my entire life. The douchebag-per-captia rate was off the charts.  I saw at least 30 fights last night. I have been to 25+ shows and I had only seen 1 fight before last night. The vibe was just awful. It didn't even seem like people were there to have a good time. People had no regard for anyone or anything. At least 90% of the people there were obnoxious, rude, and just plain douchey. It made me the respect the metal scene in Massachusetts even more than I already did (and that's saying something). You don't see shit like this at a show. People fucking respect each other and are there to have a good fucking time, not to get into pointless fights and just be a fucking asshole to everyone there at the show. Bottom Line: It's was a fucking pathetic audience and BY FAR the worst crowd I have ever been a part of.

The weather was awful too. It started down pouring the minute blink-182 got on the stage. It was fucking insane how hard it was raining. I was drenched by the time blink was on their third or fourth song. The rain really made just made the experience more miserable. The weather just put a really big fucking damper on the evening (along with the fucking assclowns at the show).

The bands themselves were actually good. Due to some complications leaving for the show, I missed Manchester Orchestra. That was probably for the best because what I heard of their stuff,  I really didn't like. My Chemical Romance was next. I was a huge fan of theirs when I was in middle school and I saw them live twice in 2005. Since then, they have released two records that I am really not a big fan of (except for a few songs off of The Black Parade). Their live show is still as good as ever though. Gerard Way sounds great and he is a damn good frontman. He worked the crowd very well and it was a fun performance for sure. The setlist was a lot better than it was on the first date of the tour in New Jersey. I was happy to see them throw in "House Of Wolves"and "Give Em' Hell Kid", those two songs alone made the set alot better, Personally, I thought My Chemical Romance outplayed blink-182 by a wide margin.

blink-182 was an odd experience. Like with My Chemical Romance,  I was a big fan of theirs in my middle school years. I was really excited to see them. Sadly, they disappointed me. The first seven songs were completely subpar. It seemed like they were half-assing everything, especially Tom Delonge. He was just going through the motions and seemed like he didn't give two shits about the performance. Then all of sudden they played  "Dumpweed" and for the most part, played a lot better for the rest of the show. It was fucking weird that nothing really clicked until then. The highlights of the show for me were "Heart's All Gone" (it sounds awesome live) and "Dammit" (best song of the night, if blink had played like this all night they would have outplayed MCR.) Travis Barker's drum solo was also really good. He is one hell of a drummer, probably the best drum solo I've seen live. They were funny as hell on stage, Mark Hoppus sounded damn good, and they did finish strong. But the half-assed, hit-or miss, mediocrity of the beginning of the set really dragged their performance down a few notchs.

Scores
My Chemical Romance 8/10
blink-182 6/10

Setlists:
My Chemical Romance:
House Of Wolves
Give Em' Hell Kid
Planetary (GO!)
Helena
The Kids From Yesterday
Welcome To The Black Parade
DESTROYA
Mama
Teenagers
I'm Not Okay (I Promise)
Famous Last Words

blink-182:
Feeling This
Up All Night
The Rock Show
What's My Age Again?
Down
I Miss You
Stay Together for the Kids
Dumpweed
Always
Violence
After Midnight(new song)
First Date
Heart's All Gone
Man Overboard
Ghost On The Dance Floor(new song)
All The Small Things
Blow Job
Josie

Encore:
Drum Solo
Carousel
Dammit
Family Reunion

No comments:

Post a Comment