Saturday, October 15, 2011

Movie Review: Real Steel (Film Number 24 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

I am going to be completely honest, I did not want to see Real Steel in the least bit. The concept of a robot boxing movie was mind-numbingly stupid to me. I ended up seeing it last night for free (I love having one of my best friends work at a movie theater, it has saved me a TON of money on tickets) out of pure boredom and much to my surprise, it wasn't a bad movie.

Real Steel is a simple and straightforward film, but it managed to entertain me for me two hours. Sometimes that's really all you need in a film and Real Steel is a perfect example of just that. My previous statement about this being Rock'Em Sock Em' Robots meets Rocky reigned true, but it's not even close to as stupid as I expected it to be. It's definitely not without it's corny moments, but I expected this to be an onslaught of full-on dumb throughout and thankfully, it wasn't. What surprised me the most about this film was how well choreographed the action scenes were. It captured the robot boxing atmosphere in a really interesting that made it seem almost exactly like traditional boxing. The camera work during the fight scenes was well done as well. It remained fluid throughout and captured the fights from every possible angle, making them a lot more thrilling for the viewer. Another surprising feat about this film, was the serviceable acting from the entire cast. I was expecting this film to be terribly acted, but everyone involved turn in pretty decent performances.

Real Steel is far from perfect, but it's shockingly a decent film. It's able to provide a light, harmless piece of entertainment that should appeal to a lot of audiences. This is the definition of a crowd-pleaser film, I am sure the masses will like this film a whole hell of a lot more than I did. Real Steel is pretty entertaining and much than better expected and that's good enough for me to give it a mild recommendation.

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment