Monday, October 31, 2011

Concert Review: Between The Buried and Me, Boston, MA October 30th, 2011

Last night was a magical evening at the House Of Blues in Boston. The Saints and Sinners Tour with Between The Buried and Me, Animals As Leaders, and TesseracT was in town. To make things even better, it was a special Halloween show that also featured Cave In and The Red Chord on top of the regular tour lineup. Putting it simply, the show was fucking amazing.

A few of my friends and I arrived at the House Of Blues around 5:45. After getting in, I browsed the merch. Between The Buried and Animals As Leaders shirts were $20 for those interested and I didn't look at TesseracT merch. I ended up purchasing an Animals As Leaders shirt with a picture of Tosin Abasi on it with "Tobama" written under it (the shirt featured the color scheme that are on the Obama shirts/posters). After I purchased my shirt, we were able to get extremely close to the stage. I have actually never been that close at the House Of Blues, which made this show that much better.

TesseracT kicked off the festivities for the evening. I was very curious to see what the band would sound like with their new vocalist, Elliot Coleman. Let me just say if you're a TesseracT fan, don't fret about Elliot's vocals, he did a great job. I actually preferred his vocals over their previous singer Dan's. Elliot's cleans and screams (his screams are vastly superior to Dan's) were great. Their material sounded better and heavier live. I think Elliot has injected new life into the band and made them all-around better. I was very pleasantly surprised by TesseracT's performance.

The first of the two special guests on the evening, the pride of Revere, Massachusetts, The Red Chord, was up next. When The Red Chord got added to the bill, I was completely stoked. They have been one of my favorite bands for a few years now and they always bring it live. This go-round was no exception. This was their first show in 6 months, but you couldn't tell by the way they played. They did not show any signs of rust and they dominated the stage like they always do. The setlist was really solid. "Birdbath" and "Hymns and Crippled Anthems" were really awesome surprises. Charn from Job For A Cowboy did a fantastic job filling in on drums. There is a rumor going around that he will be their new drummer. If that's true (I honestly don't see that happening), he would be a good fit for The Red Chord.  I really want The Red Chord to make another album soon. It's been too long since their mad genius since has released new material.

Animals As Leaders hit the stage next. Basically all I can say about their performance is that Tosin Abasi is a beast. Watching him play for 45 minutes had me in complete awe. The crowd was going ballistic the entire set. People fucking worship this guy ( at one point,some dude screamed "Tosin, I want take you home with me". Tosin was laughing so hard, he had to delay the intro to "Song Of Solomon" for a few seconds). Animals As Leaders is my favorite instrumental band of all time and it's always a treat seeing them live.

The second special guest of the evening, Cave In, was up next on the bill. Despite being from Methuen, Cave In rarely plays shows, ever around the Massachusetts area. I had only heard 1 or 2 Cave In songs prior to last night, but after their performance, I will definitely be examining their music further. They have a very dynamic sound. It was part Converge/Dillinger Escape Plan, part Thursday/Touche Amore. The crowd wasn't entirely into them, but it wasn't completely dead either. A polarizing reaction like is to be expected due to the radical shifts in tone from song to song. I am glad Cave In was on the bill last night, they put on a damn good show and they for sure gained a new fan in me.

Finally, Between The Buried and Me, hit the stage. This was my 6th(!) time seeing them and as always, they were beyond amazing. They are pretty much in a league of their own when it comes to live bands. They absolutely command the stage every time they play. Their musical precision is out of this world. It impresses each and every time I see them how they can all pull of their music off live to perfection given how complex it is. The setlist was good. Alot of great setlist staples such as "Disease, Injury, Madness" and "White Walls", as well as a really cool medley of some older songs off of the first three albums. Blake Richardson did an excellent drum solo in a break during "Specular Reflection". It was also cool to see them play "Mordecai" for the first time (I am surprised it took me until the sixth seeing them to hear it live). I can't wait for the next Between The Buried and Me tour to roll through Massachusetts.

The show was amazing. Every band killed and the presence of The Red Chord and Cave In made this even better. This tour is hitting up pretty much everywhere in the country, so if this is coming to your city go. Boston lucked out and got two more kick-ass bands on top of the rest of the lineup and I am really fortunate that happened.

Scores
TesseracT 8/10
The Red Chord 9/10
Animals As Leaders 8.5/10
Cave In 8/10
Between The Buried and Me 10/10

Setlists
TesseracT
Intro
Concealing Fate Part Two-Deception
Concealing Fate Part Three-The Impossible
Concealing Fate Part Four-Perfection
Concealing Fate Part Five-Epiphany
Concealing Fate Part Six-Origin
April
Concealing Fate Part One-Acceptance


The Red Chord
Demoralizer
Black Santa
Hymns and Crippled Anthems
Nihilist
Hour Of Rats
Birdbath
Clients
Pray For Eyes
Antman
Dreaming In Dog Years


Animals As Leaders:
An Infinite Regression
Tempting Time
Song Of Solomon
Point To Point
Isolated Incidents
Thoroughly At Home
Wave Of Babies
Cylindrical Sea
CAFO

Cave In(jacked for setlist.fm, the only songs I knew were Vicious Circles and Centered, which were announced):
Serpents
Halo Of Flies
Vicious Circles
Air Escapes
Centered
Summit Fever
Sing My Loves
Moral Eclipse
Juggernaut

Between The Buried and Me:
Mirrors
Obfuscation
Augment Of Rebirth
Foam Born B: Decade Of Statues
Disease, Injury, Madness
Specular Reflection/Drum Solo
Medley (included Alaska, All Bodies, Shavnel Cut A Flip, Arsonist,Fire For A Dry Mouth, Lost Perfection: Anablephobia, and 1 other from the s/t that I am forgetting)
Viridian
White Walls

Encore:
Mordecai

No comments:

Post a Comment