Saturday, October 22, 2011

Concert Review: OFWGKTA, Boston, MA, October 21st, 2011

Last night marked the first time in my life that I attended a rap show. Despite primarily being a metalhead, this year I've been to a few non-metal concerts (3 so far, easily the most of any other year in my life.) There were really few acts that could have possibly introduced me to the world of rap concerts than OFWGKTA.

Plain and simple, this was a great fucking show. I could tell from the second I arrived that the energy was going to be off the charts. Syd (Odd Future's DJ for those who don't know) did her 15 minute DJ set. The crow broke into a frenzy when she played "Drop" by Earl Sweatshirt. Soon after, Odd Future came out and gave it 110% with a high-energy, fun set. The whole group had a great stage presence and were completely hilarious between songs. They had a stuffed wizard named Harold on stage that Tyler and Hodgy kept throwing out into the crowd and it eventually just got destroyed (I was near the back of the venue and my shoes were still covered in stuffing from it). Not only that, but the interactions they had with the crowd were priceless. At one point in time, someones shoe got on stage. Tyler was trying to give it back to the kid, but another kid was claiming it was his. Tyler proceeded to yell at the kid about being a liar and asked if his parents beat him as a kid. The setlist was pretty fucking good, aside from the lack of material from Bastard. "Orange Juice" was easily the highlight for me, that song is probably my favorite in the extensive OFWGKTA catalogue. The crowd was decent. A shitload of hipsters and a few assholes (like the fucking kid who kept grabbing me during "Sandwitches" and screaming the lyrics into my ear), but it was fine for the most part. The crowd was going apeshit almost the entire time, but the crowd reached it's peak during "Orange Juice", "French!" and "Yonkers" (obviously). The energy during those songs were beyond explosive. It felt like the floor was going to collapse due to the vast amount of movement. This was my first time at the Royale and it was a pretty good venue. Really, really upscale place that kind of looks like a fancy dungeon. The only downside is that's it's a nightclub and the floor is elevated. I got knocked off the floor about 15-20 times because of the moshing and overall crowd movement. Normally, this would be completely straight with me, but getting knocked off an elevated dancefloor got pretty goddamn annoying after awhile. A metal show at this venue (which is very, very rare and I can see why after going there) must be complete fucking chaos.

Overall, this was a great time. OFWGKTA puts on a damn good performance. Their shows are more like rock/metal in terms of atmosphere and the way they perform, which I think is a really cool way to approach a rap show. Although I don't see myself starting to go to rap shows on a regular basis, OFWGKTA was a great act to pop my rap show cherry with.

OFWGKTA 8.5/10
Setlist (This is my best attempt at remembering it. The order of the songs could be off and it's not a complete setlist).
64
Transylvania
Rolling Papers
Tron Cat
? (first time being played in some time,Domo forgot the lyrics)
?(first time being played in some time,Tyler forgot the lyrics)
Timeless
?
igotagun
Splatter
TANGGOLF
Orange Juice
Seven
Turnt Down
Cool
Yonkers
?
French!
Benediction
Bitch Suck Dick
Double Cheeseburger
Sandwitches
Fuck The Police
Radicals
Earl (outro)

No comments:

Post a Comment