Saturday, January 7, 2012

Movie Review: Shark Night 3D (Film Number 42 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

Here we go again... The "stay out of the water" horror genre as I like to call to it, got a bit of a revival last year with Piranha 3D (which is still the only film I've ever seen that I can't form a solid opinion on). Shark Night 3D is the latest attempt to keep the genre going and let's just say it's not particularly successful in it's goal. Shark Night is basically Piranha's tamer, lamer PG-13 cousin. There are spurts of dumb fun to be had here, but it's mostly just bad. If the movie had fully embraced it's B-movie status and amped up the gore and had a more comic tone, it could been a lot of fun. Instead we are left with a half-baked and relatively bloodless movie were a bunch of college kids on a lake are taken out by sharks that were released into the water by a couple of revenge-seeking rednecks. That's really about all there is to Shark Night and then it just ends abruptly. I will say there is a couple of hilarious death scenes (one in particular involving a jet ski had me laughing my ass off for a solid 2-3 minutes), so it wasn't a complete waste of time. Shark Night is a dull and safe take on the B-movie and it could have been a lot of fun if it wasn't restrained by it's PG-13 rating.

1.5/5 Stars   

No comments:

Post a Comment