Sunday, January 1, 2012

January In Film

Happy New Year everyone! January marks the start of the new year and I am very intrigued to see what 2012 can bring. The film slate for 2012 has some potential, but you don't really know until the end of the year what the overall quality will be. Anyways, here is my take on the first crop of films of the new year with my thoughts on all of January's films.

Films I Want To See
3.Man On A Ledge (1/27)-It's not the most original concept ever, but the trailer looks pretty good. The solid cast adds to the my excitement level.

2.Underworld: Awakening(1/20)- Having Kate Beckinsale back is a huge boost. I'm also glad they are going back to the roots of the franchise and not continuing on with the prequel series. I only hope this is in the same ballpark in terms of quality as the original.

1.Contraband(1/13)-This might be the best looking film for the first few months of 2012. Mark Wahlberg is back to his gritty-film past, Ben Foster should make a good villain, and the plot is very intriguing. The second week of January the past few years has produced some great films and I hope Contraband will join that list.

Films I'm Not Sure About
Red Tails (1/20)-This could end up being great (George Lucas is producing it), but I feel like I don't know enough about the film right now to make a decision about weather or not I want to see it.

Haywire(1/20)-I am not a huge fan of Steven Soderbergh's work, but the trailer for this isn't bad. I will probably give it a shot.

The Grey (1/27)-I just saw the full-length trailer a few days ago and I am more interested in seeing it now than I was after I saw the teaser. I still feel like this could end being kind of dull (depending on the length), but it has some potential.

Films I Have Zero Interest In
The Devil Inside (1/6)-Yet another exorcism movie. This one looks particularly bad. I actually can't think of the last time an exorcism movie looked this bad (and there has been a LOT of bad ones in the past 5-10 years.) I will be avoiding this one like the plague.

Joyful Noise (1/13)-I really can't stand musicals and this isn't going to change it. It is really funny to me that Dolly Parton is in this though.

No comments:

Post a Comment