Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Movie Review: Water for Elephants (Film Number 45 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

Have you ever had the feeling when watching a movie that the movie you are watching isn't bad, it's just that you don't enjoy it? It's a rare occurrence, but when it happens it just feels odd. That's exactly how I felt while watching Water for Elephants. It's a pretty well-made film, it's just not my cup of tea at all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised (considering my taste in movies), that I didn't like a drama/romance film about the circus. This is the type of film that is a crowd-pleaser and will be enjoyed by many people, it just didn't really interest me. I will say that it does do some things right. Mainly the direction and cinematography. Francis Lawrence brings his experience directing large-scale action films to capturing the frenzied uproar of the circus with ease. This is also one of the most beautifully shot films of the year. It's breathtaking to look at and Rodrigo Preito deserves a lot of credit for his work behind the camera. I also have to give Christoph Waltz a lot of praise. He is excellent as always and his performance alone almost made me enjoy this movie. Surprisingly, even Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon weren't bad. I am sure this review will cause confusion and for that I am sorry. This is a film that I can respect and understand that it's not a bad movie, i just didn't enjoy it.

2/5 Stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment