Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Movie Review: Mr.Popper's Penguins (Film Number 41 In My Goal For 2011 Films)

I am probably in the minority of people in my age group that didn't read Mr.Popper's Penguins as a kid. With having never read the book, that didn't give me any form of nostalgia factor when watching this film. To my surprise, I actually end up enjoying Mr.Popper's Penguins a decent amount (even without any fond childhood memories of the book). Every once in a while, you see a film that's flawed, but you can forgive those flaws because it's entertaining. Mr. Popper's Penguins is a prime example of this type of film. It has it's downsides, but it's harmless, light, and is good for some laughs so you can forgive it's flaws. Jim Carrey has a good time with the role. He gets to use his impecable gift of physical comedy for a new generation. This is an old-school Carrey role and he really is this heart and soul of this film. Mr. Popper's Penguins is not a great film, but that doesn't mean it's not worth watching. It's an innocent, simple film that has just enough laughs and charms to work.

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment