Monday, August 16, 2010

Album Review: War Of Ages-Eternal


Pennslyvania's War Of Ages has been around for a while. Despite being around for 8 years they didn't catch my attention untill recently. War of Ages was opening for As I Lay Dying and they where the only band I hadn't heard of on The Cool Tour lineup. Long story short listened to a few songs liked what I heard and then I saw them live and they where great so I decided to check out more of their material. Their latest release Eternal is a very good release and surely has garned some attention for them.
The main thing on Eternal that works so well is how seemlessly they blend their melo-death and hardcore influnences. With that perfect blend established it proves they know to make good metalcore. Eternal start with a bang in the form of "Collapse". "Collapse" is heavy,has a great a solo and a really good clean-sung chrous. These guys remind me a lot of their tourmates from The Cool Tour As I Lay Dying. They play a type of old-school metalcore that not many bands tend to do anymore. This reigns true throughout the album with other standouts like "Desire"(with a guest spot from Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying) and "My Resting Place".
War Of Ages is a band to watch for in the next few years. I can really see their popularity blowing up. It is refreshing to see an approach to this genre like this and I think with a couple more releases they will be joining bands like As I Lay Dying,Killswitch Engage and Unearth in the metalcore gods tear. If you are looking for a great old-school metalcore release with great musicanship across the board,songwriting and well-timed breakdowns then look no further than War Of Ages.
4/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.Collapse
2.Desire
3.My Resting Place

No comments:

Post a Comment