Monday, August 2, 2010

Concert Review: Summer Slaughter Worcester,MA July 31st,2010

Got to the show around 3:40. I ran to the door thinking I was going to miss Vital Remains. Thankfully The Palladium had put 1 local band on the main stage prior to the Summer Slaughter tour package. The local band was playing their last song when I got in. They sounded like a mix of The Faceless(instrumentally) and Arsonists Get All The Girls(vocally).

Anways onto the Summer Slaughter tour package. The New England Death Metal legends Vital Remains took the stage. These dudes know to put on a great show. Vital Remains should be billed higher on this tour simply on merit and experience alone, but I do understand from a popularity standpoint that they aren't very popular despite being around for 20+years. The crowd was going absoultely apeshit during their set. One of the best performances of the day for sure.

Animals As Leaders was also great. Seeing an instrumental band was a nice change of pace on a strictly extreme metal tour and the crowd was into them for the most part. It was really cool to finally see them after recently listening to their studio stuff and really digging it.

I hate Carnifex and thankfully the Over The Limit tour was playing upstairs at the same time. The only band that I liked on that whole tour is Arsonists Get All The Girls(I didn't even end up watching them they were on at the same time as Celphalic Carnage) but I figured any band on that bill is better than Carnifex. When I got upstairs, Thick As Blood was playing. They are pretty much a very average version of Hatebreed, at least middle of the road hardcore is better than shitty ass Carnifex.

Looked at the merch while Decrepit Birth was setting up. Pretty much every band has great designs and the merch is pretty cheap for every band. Onto Decrepit Birth they were pretty good. I am not a fan on disc but their material sounds a lot better live. I really have never understood why I don't like their studio stuff being a pretty big tech-death fan but I have just never gotten into them. I am glad I gave them a chance live and I enjoyed their set a pretty good deal.

Cephalic Carnage is fun as hell live. They go absoultely ballistic and they have great banter. The new songs sound really good I don't remember the names of the new ones but they are about smoking weed and watching Star Trek, and chronic masturbation.

Veil Of Maya is a severely underrated band. Their new album (id) is great and will most likely rank pretty highly on my end of the year list. The thing is with Veil Of Maya is that they are good live but they are better on album for sure. Their set was plagued with weak sound and the guitarist screwed up a few times. Despite those flaws they still put on a good show.

The local heroes from Revere,Massachusetts The Red Chord were on next. The Red Chord never fails to deliver live. They put on an amazing show every time and they look like they are having the time of their lives on the stage. Guy Kozoywk(spelled that wrong for sure) is a whirlwind on stage and he was so excited to be in front of the hometown crowd. He along with his bandmates were out and about all day talking with fans. The Red Chord is truely a class act and a fantastic band.

All Shall Perish is a band that is so much better live than they are on disc it is scary. I like them on disc but live they are 100x better. Sure they have some pig squealing and breakdowns but their guitarwork is fucking fantastic. All Shall Perish is a band that reminds me that deathcore can be done right when in the right hands. Met the singer right after their set as well, he is a really nice guy. Great performance and I will most likely see them next time they come around.

The Faceless was one of the reasons for me to come to this show. They are one of my favorite bands around right now and imo the best tech-death band to emerge in quite some time. This was my 2nd time seeing them and they are fucking great live. Derek Rydquist is a monster of a vocalist. Michael Keene hit every one of his solos to perfection. Best part was they played a longer setlist than they have been playing for most of the tour. Technically perfect,brutal and flat out fantastic. Tied for the best show of the day with The Red Chord.

I had to miss Decapitated and that killed me. Hey I had to make a small sacrifice for my friend not a really big deal. He drove me there and I know he wanted to see Decapitated as well but he wanted to see his girlfriend on her birthday so I gotta respect that. I do love Decapitated and I am sure they will tour again and I will make damn sure that I am there when do.

Great fucking show and If this is coming to your city go. With the exception of Carnifex there is not a weak band on the bill and I think every extreme metal fan will go home happy after this show.


Scores
Vital Remains 8.5/10
Animals As Leaders 8/10
Thick As Blood 5/10
Decrepit Birth 7.5/10
Cephalic Carnage 8/10
Veil Of Maya 7.5/10
The Red Chord 9/10
All Shall Perish 8.5/10
The Faceless 9/10

Setlists
Vital Remains
Dechristianize
Savior To None,Failure To All
?
Hammer Down The Nails

Animals As Leaders
Wave Of Babies
Tempting Time
On Inpulse
CAFO

Cephalic Carnage
Hybrid
Endless Cycle Of Violence
New Song
New Song
New Song
Lucid Interval
?
Kill For Weed

Veil Of Maya
(id)
Unbreakable
Crawl Back
Dark Passenger
Pillars
We Bow In Its Aura
It's Not Safe To Swim Today

The Red Chord
Demoralizer
Bone Needle
Black Santa
Floating Through The Vein
Hour Of Rats
Nihillist
Dreaming In Dog Years
Antman

All Shall Perish
There Is No Buisness To Be Done On A Dead Planet....
Stabbing To Purge Dissimulation
When Life Meant More...
Gagged,Bound,Shelved and Forgotten
Never....Again
Eradication
Wage Slaves

The Faceless
Shape Shifters
Coldly Calculated Design
Sons Of Belial
Xenochrist
The Anicent Covenant
Horizons Of Chaos I: Oracle Of The Onslaught
Legion Of The Serpent
Planetary Duality I: Hideous Revelation
Planetary Duality II: A Prophecies Fruition
An Autopsy

No comments:

Post a Comment