Thursday, September 23, 2010

Concert Review: BlackDiamondSkye(Alice In Chains/Deftones/Mastodon) Boston,MA September 22,2010

A brief anecdote to open with prior to my review. My friend and I got on the subway around 5:15 to head into Boston for the show. About halfway through our journey, a group of African-American dudes that are around the same age as my friend and I board the subway. My friend is also African-American and these kids begin to start smack talking us, thinking they are hilarious. They proceed to ask my friend what he is doing and he says going to the Alice In Chains concert and these kids begin to question his "blackness" and proceed to rant about how "brothers shouldn't go to rock concerts". Then they proceeded to get off the subway and me and my friend just laughed at their ignorance.Besides that odd ride in there, the rest of the night was amazing.

Mastodon went on directly at 7:00. I was extremely excited to see them again. Despite Mastodon being my favorite band of all time, their live performances are extremely scattered in quality. The 1st time I saw them in 2007, Brent Hinds was so strung out he forgot lyrics and blew solos left and right. Thankfully Mastodon brought their A-game out at this show. The setlist was fantastic. I had heard many conflicting setlists from them from the first few dates of this tour, so I really was not sure what would actually be played. The set was heavy on Blood Mountain/Leviathan material which excited me greatly because those are my two favorite records from Mastodon. Naked Burn is a great opener and was a really nice surprise. The finale of Megalodon and Blood and Thunder was epic. Megalodon is so god damn heavy live and Blood and Thunder was such an amazing surprise. The whole band was tight and Hinds nailed every solo/sounded great vocally.Best performance I have ever seen from Mastodon.

Deftones were up next and they are really a hit or miss band for me. Their new record Diamond Eyes is pretty damn good and I dig some stuff off of Around The Fur and White Pony. This was my 1st time seeing them and going in I had heard mixed reviews on their live show. Deftones were very good live. Chino Moreno is an absolute madman on stage. In addition to his whirlwind energy, he sounded great on vocals. I was surprised about how well songs like Rocket Skates where live. Rocket Skates is not one of my faves but live it was amazing. Deftones impressed me and I would go see them again.

Seeing a band like Alice In Chains live is just surreal to me. They are one of the most iconic bands of the past 20 years and I was getting to see them live. Alice In Chains blew me away. Will Duvall at times in a live environment sounds exactly like Layne Staley, it gave me chills. The 1-2 opening punch of Them Bones and Dam That River was insane. Both of these tracks are among my favorites and made great set openers. Alice In Chains played an eclectic mix of tracks from all their records and it made for one of the best performances I have ever witnessed. Anyone that still doubts Alice In Chains without Layne Staley is crazy. Duvall does a great job with Layne's work and he is a beyond worthy replacement.

This was seriously one of the best shows I have ever been to in my entire life. Mastodon and Alice In Chains brought down the house and Deftones were great as well. Go check out this show if hasn't already come through your city, all 3 bands are great and it was worth every penny I spent.

Scores
Mastodon 9/10
Deftones 8/10
Alice In Chains 9.5/10

Setlists
Mastodon
Naked Burn
Divinations
Crystal Skull
Colony Of Birchmen
Capillarian Crest
The Czar
Megalodon
Blood and Thunder

Deftones
Diamond Eyes
Rocket Skates
Around The Fur
Be Quiet and Drive(Far Away)
My Own Summer(Shove It)
Prince
You've Seen The Butcher
Sextape
?
Change(In The House Of Flies)
?
Engine No.9
7 Words

Alice In Chains
Them Bones
Dam That River
Rain When I Die
Again
Check My Brain
Your Decision
No Excuses
Sickman
God Am
We Die Young
Acid Bubble
Lesson Learned
Rooster
Encore
Love,Hate,Love
Man In The Box
Would?

No comments:

Post a Comment