Saturday, January 1, 2011

Album Review: Pendulum-Immersion


I'm going to be honest, Pendulum is not really my cup of tea. They are electro/drum and bass/experimental group from Austraila that I really didn't know much about. A friend of mine wanted to see what I thought about this record, so I gave it a shot. I gained some hope for this record when Tommy Rodgers, lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Between The Buried and Me named this his album of the year. Let's just say I don't share those thoughts.
Pendulum is certainly ambitious. They go all over the map with varied influences from hardcore, bass-heavy, thumping techno to metal. I can always dig an act that likes to throw curveballs and is inspired by various genres of music, Pendulum just kind of fails at it. I will say there are some catchy beats on this record especially on "Under The Waves" and "Set Me On Fire" and the In Flames cameo on "Self Vs Self" is well-done, but the songs go on for too long and can get quite boring for the most part. This record just gets too bogged down with the amount of shit going on in each song. It's not that it's really that bad, it's just really scattered and lacks cohesion.
Immerison is a flawed and tepid record. It has it's moments and catchy beats, it's just really weak in it's writing and there is way too much going on in each song. I can dig their experimentation, it's just that the various parts don't mix well for whatever reason. They are pretty much the techno version of Nachtmystium, there are some good moments, but in the end they are just too ambitious and experimental for their own good.
2.5/5 Stars
Standout Tracks
1.Self Vs Self
2.Set Me On Fire
3.Under The Waves

No comments:

Post a Comment