Saturday, January 1, 2011

January In Film

January is a dull time for new films. It's mostly dominated by the Oscar-bait releases from December and the new releases tend to underwhelm. The past couple years, January has brought one great film to the table (Notorious in 2009 and The Book Of Eli in 2010). This January has the least amount of wide releases in recent years, here are my thoughts on these films.

Films I Want to See
2.The Mechanic(1/28)-I am not going to lie. I love Jason Statham. I have seen just about all of his movies (with the exception of In The Name Of The King, I will never watch another Uwe Boll film no matter who's in it). His movies may be similar in nature and they pretty much never fail to entertain. The Mechanic is a remake of a 70's Charles Bronson film and it's basically more of what Statham does best, kill people and deliver mindless entertainment, count me in.

1.The Green Hornet(1/14)-This is the film I expect to be the gem of January. Seth Rogen superhero film, Great fucking idea! This is one of my most anticipated films of the first few months of the year. The trailer looks to be really cool and really damn funny. Throw in the great Christoph Waltz as the villain and you have what will hopefully be a great film.

Films I Am Unsure About
The Dillemma(1/14)- I most likely won't see this film, it doesn't look funny. I do like Kevin James and Vince Vaughn, so it might warrant a watch on DVD, but the odds aren't good.

Films That I Have No Intrest In At All
Season Of The Witch(1/7)-It's been shelved for over a year, switched distributors and looks pretty damn bad. I do like Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman, but not enought to convince to see this sure to be piece of shit fantasy adventure.

No Strings Attached(1/21)-Way to follow up Black Swan Natalie Portman. This doesn't look as bad as it sounds on paper, but that's about it.

The Rite(1/28)-Another exoricism movie? This seriously needs to stop, this is becoming one of the most tired subgenres in all of Hollywood. This doesn't look to be an different than other exorcism films. They thrown in the Vatican and the "based on a true story" gimmick, that's really about it. Poor Anthony Hopkins, he hasn't made a good movie in over 10 years, a serious fall from grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment